Tuesday, 18 August 2015 07:32

Members sought for funding scheme

Written by  Ruralcity Media
Members sought for funding scheme

BUSINESSES and communities in Northumberland can still benefit from nearly £2m of European funding to help create jobs and boost the economy.

The Northumberland LEADER Programme for the rural coast and lowland areas of the county wants to recruit new members to its Local Action Group (LAG).

LEADER is a community led approach to delivering EU funding into rural businesses and communities.

A call for new LAG members earlier this year generated a good amount of interest but the programme is still keen to attract more recruits.

The lowland and coastal area area runs north from Lynemouth along the coast to the Scottish Border and inland covering Berwick, Alnwick, Morpeth. It includes the area south of Morpeth through Stannington towards Ponteland.

LEADER provides grants to small businesses, farmers, foresters and communities for projects that create jobs and grow the rural economy.

Some 70% of the available funding will be used to support projects designed to directly support creation of jobs and growth and the remaining 30% to indirectly support jobs and growth.

LAGs are made up of members from the local community along with the public and private sector.

They decide which projects they will fund in their area and all projects must support one or more of the six LEADER priorities.

These are to:

* support micro and small businesses and farm diversification
* boost rural tourism
* increase farm productivity
* increase forestry productivity
* provide rural services
* provide cultural and heritage activities

Northumberland Coast and Lowlands LEADER LAG chairman Ross Weddle said: "We are looking to widen and develop the membership of our Local Action Group."

"We want to hear from local businesses, community organisations, parish and town councils, development trusts, public sector agencies and local residents.

"We are particularly looking to recruit local business people and those involved in agriculture and forestry to join the LAG."

For further details, call 01670 623878 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

  • No comments found

Leave your comments

0 / 500 Character restriction
Your text should be in between 10-500 characters
terms and condition.