Any homes and businesses left empty are particularly at risk and should be protected against possible freezing and bursts.
The simple actions below will make a big difference once temperatures start dropping:
• Insulate outside taps and exposed water pipes in lofts and outside
• Insulate cold water tanks
• Check that external and internal stop taps are working so supplies can be turned off in an emergency
• If it’s very cold outside leave central heating on a low setting overnight
• If leaving homes and business unattended for a long period, turn off the water supply at the stop tap. Consider leaving the heating on a low setting
• Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can lead to a frozen pipe.
For more information and videos about coping with cold weather visit: www.affinitywater.co.uk/winter
- To download the Affinity Water communication toolkit click here
- To download a poster with useful information regarding burst pipes and the priority register for Affinity customers click here
Sign up to our newsletter to receive all the latest news and updates.